Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Supervillains

We've now read Council of Evil. The first book in the villain.net series (or anti-series as it is referred to on the cover). I feel somewhat conflicted. It's harder to read and relate to the characters when they are all villains. We are somewhat drawn to Jake Hunter, the protagonist, as he has to work through the emotions of discovering that he has been chosen to be a villain. He is a bully at school and in Rise of the Heroes he is portrayed as a bad guy but we are coming to understand a little more of who he is and what he is thinking.

I really loved the premise in the first book and looked forward to seeing it played out from the other side. And yet, I'm quite aware that I'm hoping that evil will be overcome and the heroes will triumph and I'm equally aware that I'm quite nervous that this will not be the case. Does that invalidate the stories? The boys are working through the books - one series each and are waiting to finish the first 3 of each series before they read the 4th of each. At the moment they are withholding judgement ... and so am I!

No comments:

Post a Comment