Monday, January 10, 2011

Love of books

Books have always played a huge role in my life. There is nothing I enjoy more than a quiet afternoon with a good book. As I had children and rediscovered the joy of well-written, beautiful children's books and the joy of reading them aloud (often over and over!) I became aware of the huge variety of available books. Some are exquisite stories that engross a child and awaken their imagination and understanding of the world. Some disappoint in their writing and some open doors that I would rather remain closed for some time.


In recent years, as my children have become competent, independent readers I have discovered a new challenge as a mother: how to continue to encourage reading and yet stay involved in the choices made. This is my journey through youth literature; it is not complete nor is it exhaustive but my plan is to blog about the books as I read them. Many of the books I have recently read have been aimed at about 10-12 year olds, and in particular, boys.

This is a new journey for me and a way to chronicle what we read but it may also help others find books for their family!

No comments:

Post a Comment